Our general objectives and specific real reforms are:
PREVENTION of exaggerated and misleading claims being pursued and settled
- Set up the Garda Insurance Fraud Unit
- Link Sections 26 and 25 of the Civil Liability Act 2004 so that exaggerated and misleading claims are automatically forwarded to the Gardai for potential prosecution
- Oblige lawyers to comply with the duties of candour and inquiry now being applied to Asylum cases
CONSISTENCY in the calculation of awards at realistic and affordable levels
- Recalibrate the Book of Quantum to reflect international norms and norms already established by the Court of Appeal
- Redefine and rebalance the “common law duty of care” to require the occupier to take a duty of care that is reasonable, practical and proportionate .
TRANSPARENCY on how premiums are calculated and claims are settled
- Produce a schedule of forecast reductions for reforms
- Reinstate the 2003 IIF/IBEC protocol on dealing with claims
- Publish an up to date Key Information Report on Employer and Public Liability insurance claims
- Make a Claim-by-Claim Register available.
The overriding aim of the Alliance is to:
Leverage reforms that will quickly reduce liability and motor insurance premiums to affordable levels and keep them that way.
A very long list of potential objectives has been refined to three general areas and nine specific ‘real reforms’. These reforms are intended to be feasible, achievable within a limited timeframe and ultimately effective.
Given the need for urgent action, we have excluded many exemplary suggestions because they are long-term in nature. The actions have been refined following meetings with key policyholders.